Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mixed Media Mother's Day Card



Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there, especially my Mum! 

I made my Mum a neat card this year out of a ton of mixed materials I had lying around my studio. I wanted to share how I made it in case anyone is feeling crafty and wanted a bit of a tutorial/idea for a snazzy little card. 




I used a ton of stuff for this, but this list can easily be modified. 
Materials:
9x12" Watercolor Paper (cut in half)
Book pages
Watercolor Pencils
Watercolor Paint
Scrapbook Embellishments
Beads
Sewing Pins
Stencil and Glue



First, I traced 3 different sized butterfly shapes onto book pages. This "Paul Simon" line just had to make it's way into the project because serendipity and all. I gave the watercolor paper an aged look by using yellow and brown watercolors and then rubbing it with a paper towel to rough up the paper.




I used various watercolor pencils to color the three butterflies. My Mum likes pink and green, so that is the color scheme I chose. I then hot glued (I could not find any of my glue sticks) the square scrapbook cutout onto the top half of the card to use as a frame for the butterfly, followed by a ribbon with a cute little embellishment underneath.




Then, I glued the 3 butterfly cutouts one by one inside the little green frame cutout. I bent the wings up to give them a cool 3D effect. I used my favorite pink glitter gel pens to write out MOM with a stencil, because my handwriting is crap.








After, I hot glued five gold beads (from a broken bracelet) down the butterflies body and I used bent sewing pins as antennae. I'm all about reusing and recycling here. Now these items have a beautiful new home that isn't a landfill. 


Since my writing is awful, I found a cute quote on a piece of vellum that was with my scrapbook supplies. I glued that down on the inside of the card...but still had to write in there a little bit. 



I even had a green envelope that was just the right size for this card. Be sure to slide it in there easily. I really love how this card came out. I spent a lot of time and effort making it, so I know my Mum will cherish it more than any store bought cards. She is a sucker for sentimental stuff. 


Happy Mother's Day Mum! You are the most amazing mom that could ever be and I love you more than words and art could ever express. <3

Love Always,
Crystal 




No comments:

Post a Comment