Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A Week of Watercolor!



Watercolors are one of my favorite mediums, but I haven't worked with actual Watercolor paper for a long time. U.S. Art Supply has all types of paper, this one being a 9" x 12" Heavy-Weight (140 lb) Watercolor Paper Pad. Let's get painting!





I started small and painted a birthday card for my friend. I tend to be heavy handed and will take up a lot of fibers because I ALWAYS manage to use too much water and too much force in ONE spot. This paper was pretty tough and held up well. 

It absorbed colors nicely and I liked the thickness and tooth of the paper. Two of the four edges were a bit ragged. This must be from how the pages are cut. It's not a deal breaker for me, since the stuff I paint will be matted and framed, so the edges will not be seen.

For quite some time I have been wanting to use masking fluid. I was excited to try it out on a paper that would be able to hold up through the process. The masking fluid went down smoothly. I took a video when I removed it. I was surprised at how well it worked out being my first time and all. I couple parts of the paper came up, but I was being rough...and didn't have all the correct tools.

Time lapse of removing masking fluid from watercolor paper. 





I was able to touch up all the spots that came up with the masking fluid. I am very pleased with how well this worked out, so I will definitely experiment more with this technique. I give this paper 4 out of 5 stars. It's good quality paper and a good value as well. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to try new paper.






I received this item at a discount. This review is 100% honest, unbiased, and my own. 


~Crystal Vicious 

2 comments:

  1. I love those pictures. I can't draw or paint to save my life but my husband is really talented. He drew and painted in watercolor a dragon for me when we met and I still have it framed on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Spiky Massage Ball Manufacturer

    ReplyDelete