Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Mmmmmm Matcha!


There are two types of matcha: Culinary and Ceremonial. I love Midori Spring's Ceremonial Matcha, so now it's time to try out their Culinary Matcha. Culinary matcha can be mixed in smoothies, lattes, or added when baking. You should not drink culinary matcha on its own as a tea because it will taste robust, earthy and astringent. 

Naturally, the first thing I wanted to make was a smoothie. The first one I tried was made with 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 cup orange juice, and 1/2 cup frozen mango, plus 1 teaspoon of matcha. It was delicious! I haven't looked back since. I have been adding a teaspoon of matcha to my smoothies every day. It gives them a beautiful green hue, a yummy green tea flavor, plus all the benefits matcha has to offer.


  • Energy boost without the jitters.
  • Reduces stress and improves mental alertness.
  • Improve metabolism and helps with weight control.
  • Supports your immune system and reduces inflammation.

After making a ton of smoothies I decided to try my hand at baking with matcha. I found a recipe for matcha meringue and this is what happened. 


These meringue cookies were...interesting. They tasted like the last sip of a cup of tea. A strong tea flavor, and a lot of sugar. I made a perfect meringue...but the flavor was just odd. I love matcha tea, lattes, and smoothies, but I'm not much of a fan of baking with it just yet. This won't deter me from trying a few more recipes, but I won't make these again. None of my friends were big fans either. 

One of my friends actually put a matcha meringue cookie IN his vodka tonic and let it melt. He said it was actually yummy, thus proving matcha will always be delicious in beverages. I give Midori Spring Culinary Matcha 4 out of 5 stars. I love everything about it in drinks. I just don't know how I feel about adding it to cooking and baking. 

Grab some on Amazon.

I received this product at a discount. This review is 100% honest, unbiased, and my own. 

~Crystal Vicious

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Speed Jump Rope Manufacturer

    ReplyDelete